Introducing human resource management
“A good, reliable and accurate all round book with lots of useful models that are well explained and illustrated."
Gill Christy, Visiting Fellow, University of Portsmouth
Introducing Human Resource Management is a lively and engaging introduction to the key topics and issues surrounding people management. Clearly linking HR theory to the work environment, this book explores core areas such as HR strategy and planning, employee engagement, diversity and equality, and talent management and development. The text combines solid academic underpinning with practical examples to allow you to consolidate your learning and apply it in practice.
This 7th edition has been fully revised to include:
- a whole new International HRM chapter
- the latest developments in equality legislation
- greater coverage of the increasingly important need to develop and keep talent within organisations
- more emphasis on employee engagement, equality and diversity
- a focus on developing your employability skills in areas such as: management of self, management of your learning, problem solving, thinking critically, working with others, data handling, communication and business awareness
This text will help you succeed in your studies through:
- ‘Did you know’ and ‘Pause for thought’ boxes to get you thinking
- ‘What next’ features to encourage you to find out more about a topic
- ‘HR in the news’ features containing articles from the Financial Times to promote discussion of real-life examples of HR in practice.
- 'Review questions' (with answers) to help you check your understanding of a topic
- 'Improve your employability' exercises to help you develop your skills and employability
Introducing Human Resource Management is ideal for a first course in human resource management at undergraduate or professional level, including courses that lead to a Chartered Institute of Personnel and Development (CIPD) qualification. This new edition maps each chapter against the CIPD’s standards.
About the authors
Margaret Foot has had extensive experience in the field of Human Resource Management, both as a practitioner and as Senior Lecturer in HRM at Huddersfield University Business School. A Chartered Fellow of the CIPD, she now focuses on her independent research and writing.
Caroline Hook has extensive professional experience in HRM and is a Chartered Fellow of the CIPD. After many years as Senior Lecturer in Human Resource Management at Huddersfield University Business School, she now focuses mainly on her independent research and writing, whilst doing some teaching in Hong Kong.
Andrew Jenkins is Principal Lecturer in the department of Logistics, Operations and Hospitality Management at the University of Huddersfield. Andrew teaches HRM, Strategic Management and Research Methods within the Business School. He has a doctorate in HRM from the University of Strathclyde and is a member of the Chartered Management Institute and Fellow of the Higher Education Academy.